Let’s be honest: summer is barbeque season. Fruit, vegetables, marinated meats – they’re all made more delicious by a grill. I know this, but as a condo-dwelling tenant without a yard, I am and will remain barbeque-less for the foreseeable future. It almost makes this whole season a culinary tease! Happily, however, I know people who will barbeque for me, and as a result I’ve been developing a repertoire of pot-luck-able sides to accompany the barbequed fare of my hosts. One particularly fab find was this grated carrot salad.
This salad is worth your time for a few reasons:
- It’s FAST! Grate the carrots and you’re done. For extra speed, lose the grater and use a food processor instead.
- It’s pantry-based; no grocery shopping for you.
- It brings a punch of colour to your table.
- The Canada Food Guide recommends eating at least one orange vegetable each day. Check that off.
- Have you tasted carrots with cumin before? Then you know what I’m talking about.
- It keeps in the fridge for you – no greens, no wilting. It’s my latest lunch classic.
- Pair it with baked quinoa patties or spiced kibbe – you’re welcome.
Carrot Salad with Cumin
from Home Made
3 medium carrots, peeled and grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp cumin seeds
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
pinch of cayenne pepper
salt, to taste
cilantro leaves (to garnish)
1. Place grated carrots in a medium bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine garlic, cumin seeds, olive oil, vinegar, cayenne pepper and salt. Pour over carrots and stir to coat evenly. Refrigerate until ready to serve; garnish with cilantro leaves.